Prior to the Revolutionary War, ten parishes were established in this coastal area of South Carolina that linked the important towns such as Savannah and Charleston. One of these was St. Bartholomew’s Parish (now Colleton County). Chapels of Ease were constructed so families who lived far from main parish churches could gather and attended services. The Pon Pon Chapel of Ease was located on Parker’s Ferry Road a stagecoach route between Charleston and Savannah. This patch of land has seen warfare and bloodshed for hundreds of years so it’s not strange that it’s has a reputation for being haunted.
The Lost of Land's End
St Helena's Island located in the Port Royal Sound of South Carolina is thought to be one of the oldest settlements in the United States. Lucas Vázquez de Ayllón discovered the area around 1520 in his quest to colonize the islands along the coast. An adjacent island named Port Royal (now Beaufort) was once the capital of the Spanish colony in Florida. In an area so rich in history, there are ghosts behind every Spanish moss draped tree.
Along Old Sheldon Church Road stands the ruin of what was once known as Prince William’s Parish Church in Yemassee, South Carolina. Now it goes by the name of the Old Sheldon Church Ruins. Built between 1745 and 1753 it witnessed mundane family celebrations as well as history making events, so it is not surprising that it has a reputation for being haunted.
Stranger Than Fiction Stories by M.P. Pellicer